- Lightning talk presentations will last no longer than five minutes (Q&A will be separate).
- Please don’t include videos in your presentation.
- Do not use more than 10 slides, ideally aim for 6.
- Each lightning talk will be assigned to a specific session/slot, with an allocated chair. This information will be sent to presenters after registration closes.
- Outline your presentation before designing your slide deck, then create slides to communicate the main points in your outline.
- Make only one point per slide.
- Don’t use too many words on each slide.
- Choose large, bold, and clearly legible fonts.
- Write a loose script with the information you want to include with each slide.
- Don’t rush. Don’t speak faster, instead say less.
- As with any presentation, customise it for your audience. Think carefully about use of specialist language and long side-explanations.
- Keep it simple. Avoid extra detail and never go off on a tangent.
- Practice frequently not only to improve your delivery but also to ensure you cover each slide in the given time period.
- Practice in front of others and request feedback, but also try recording yourself and watching it back to conduct your own critique.