Senior Lecturer in Criminal Investigation, ICJS, University of Portsmouth
Dr Adrian James joined ICJS following a long career in the Metropolitan Police Service. Adrian was a detective for almost 25 years, working with a variety of Scotland Yard departments, the UK’s Regional Crime Squads, the National Crime Squad, and on extended projects with HM Revenue and Customs and the Serious Organised Crime Agency.
Whilst a serving officer, Adrian James studied for a HNC in Public Administration, a BSc degree in Policing and Police Studies, and an MSc in Criminal Justice Policy. Towards the end of his police career, Adrian was awarded a research fellowship to support his PhD studies.
Since joining ICJS, Adrian has completed his PhD and developed his research interests in: policing policy and reform; the history and culture of the detective force; covert policing; criminal intelligence; and organised crime.
- James, A., Drowning not waving: after 40 years of neglect, what now should be done to develop police intelligence practice in Britain? British Society of Criminology: Policing Network (2016).
- James, A., Understanding police intelligence work. Bristol: Policy Press (2016).
- James, A; Phythian, M; Wadie, F; and Richards, J. What works in intelligence? A report for NPCC and the UK College of Policing (2016).
- James, A., In praise of ‘little data’. Policing Insight. January, 2016.
- James, A., Forward to the Past: reinventing intelligence-led policing in Britain. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal, (2014).
- James, A., Examining Intelligence-Led Policing; developments in research, policy, and practice. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.(2013).
- James, A. and Mills, M. Does ACPO know best: to what extent may the PIP programme provide a template for the professionalisation of policing? Pol. J. Volume 85, 2012, pp 1-17.
- James, A., Criminal Networks: the challenge to policing in the 21st century? Austrian Interior Ministry’s Journal of Police Studies and Practice, 2005.
- James, A., Criminal networks, illegal immigration and the threat to border security. International Journal of Police Science and Management, Volume 7 Number 4, 2005.