Research Fellow, University of Dundee
Dr Anna Gavine is a Research Fellow in the School of Nursing and Health Sciences at the University of Dundee. She is an expert in systematic review methodology and her work involves the conduction of different forms of evidence syntheses on a range of topic areas for different audiences.
Recent work includes the production of systematic reviews of interventions to inform the WHO’s guideline development group on nutrition actions 2016-2018, rapid reviews for policy and education (including a series of reviews to inform the Scottish Government’s Review of Maternity and Neonatal services), and mixed-methods systematic reviews on different aspects of adolescent and maternal and infant public health.
In particular, Anna is interested in the challenges of evidence synthesis of complex interventions and the development of novel review methodologies in this area.
Anna regularly publishes her work in peer-reviewed journals and has presented at both national and international conferences. She is a member of two Cochrane review groups and is also involved the teaching of systematic review methods to both postgraduate students and for a range of other audiences through the delivery of short courses.
- Gavine, A., Donnelly, P., Williams, D. (2016). The effectiveness of universal school-based programmes for the prevention of youth violence. Psychology of Violence, vol 6(3): 390-399
- Williams, D., Gavine, A., Ward, C., Donnelly, P. (2014). What is evidence in violence prevention? In Donnelly, P. and Ward, C. Eds. Violence: A Global Public Health Policy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Williams, D., Gavine, A., Carnochan, J. (2014). The public health approach to domestic violence prevention. In Taylor, M., Pooley, J., Taylor, R. Eds. Overcoming domestic violence. New York: Nova Science Publishing.
- Martin, G., Gavine, A., Inchley, J., Currie, C. (In Press). Conceptualizing, measuring and evaluating constructs of the adolescent neighbourhood social environment: A systematic review. SSM – Population Health.
- McFadden, A., Gavine, A., Renfrew, M.J., Wade, A. McFadden, A., Crowther, S.A., Buchanan, P., Rennie, A.M., Taylor, J.L., Veitch, E., MacGillivray, S. (2017). Support for healthy breastfeeding mothers with healthy term babies. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Issue 2. Art. No.: CD001141.
- Gavine, A., MacGillivray, S., Renfrew, M., Siebelt, L., Haggi, H., McFadden, A. (2017). Education and training of healthcare staff in the knowledge, attitudes and skills needed to work effectively with breastfeeding women: a systematic review. International Breastfeeding Journal, vol 12:6.
- O’Sullivan, E., Ota, E., Balogun, O.O., Gavine, A., Renfrew, M.J., MacGillivray, S., McFadden, A. Interventions for promoting the initiation of breastfeeding. (2016). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Issue 11. Art. No.: CD001688.