Research Fellow, Coventry University
Dr Joel Busher is a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Trust, Peace and Social Relations (CTPSR), Coventry University. His primary research interests are in the social ecology of political violence and anti-minority activism, and the implementation of counter-terrorism policy and its societal impacts. He has published extensively on these topics, and his book, The Making of Anti-Muslim Protest (Routledge), was awarded the British Sociological Association’s Philip Abrams Memorial Prize.
He frequently presents to and advises policymakers and practitioners at local, national and international levels. He is an Associate Editor of Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression; Chair of the CTPSR Working Group on PVE and CVE; an Expert Consultant on the International Consensus Guidelines Committee of the Canadian Practitioners Network for the Prevention of Radicalization and Extremist Violence (CPN-PREV), and is a Visiting Fellow at the Center for Research on Extremism (C-REX) at the University of Oslo.
Joel has worked on the CREST-funded The Internal Brakes On Violent Escalation project.
He tweets @joel_busher
- Busher J, Hobrook D and Macklin G (2019) The Internal Brakes on Violent Escalation: A Typology. Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression, 11(1), 3-25 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19434472.2018.1551918
- Busher J, Harris G and Macklin G (2019) Chicken Suits and Other Aspects of Situated Credibility Contests: Explaining Local Trajectories of Anti-Minority Activism. Social Movement Studies, 19(2), 193-214 https://doi.org/10.1080/14742837.2018.1530978
- Busher J & Morrison J (2018) Micro-Moral Worlds of Contentious Politics: A Reconceptualization of Radical Groups and their Intersections with One Another and the Mainstream. Mobilization: An International Quarterly, 23(2), 219-236 http://mobilizationjournal.org/doi/abs/10.17813/1086-671X-23-3-219?code=hjdm-site
- Busher J, Giurlando P & Sullivan G (2018) Introduction: The Emotional Dynamics of Backlash Politics beyond Anger, Hate, Fear, Pride, and Loss. Humanity & Society, Online First, http://journals.sagepub.com/toc/has/0/0
- Busher J (2018) Why Even Misleading Identity Claims Matter: The Evolution of the English Defence League. Political Studies, 66(2), 323-338 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0032321717720378
- Thomas P, Busher J, Macklin G, Rogerson M, & Christmann K (2018) Hopes and Fears: Community Cohesion and the ‘White Working Class’ in One of the ‘Failed Spaces’ of Multiculturalism. Sociology, 52(2), 262-281 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0038038516676775
- Busher J (2016) The Making of Anti-Muslim Protest: Grassroots Activism in the English Defence League. Routledge. Winner of the British Sociological Association’s (BSA) Philip Abrams Memorial Prize
- Busher J & Macklin G (2015) Interpreting ‘Cumulative Extremism’: Six Proposals for Enhancing Conceptual Clarity. Terrorism and Political Violence, 27(5), 884-905. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09546553.2013.870556
- Macklin G & Busher J (2015) The Missing Spirals of Violence: Four Waves of Movement–Countermovement Contest in Post-War Britain. Behavioural Science of Terrorism and Political Aggression, 7(1), 53-68. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19434472.2014.977329