Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Strategic Dialogue
Julia Ebner is a Senior Research Fellow at ISD, specialising in far-right extremism, reciprocal radicalisation, viral disinformation, conspiracy myths and terrorism prevention. Julia advises parliamentary working groups, security agencies and tech firms, and delivers lectures in schools and universities. She has acted as an adviser on counter-terrorism for the United Nations. Based on her research, Julia regularly writes for newspapers such as The Guardian, The Independent, Newsweek, Süddeutsche and CNN.
Julia is currently completing her DPhil in Anthropology at Oxford University. She is the author of The Rage: The Vicious Circle of Islamist and Far-Right Extremism, which won the Bruno Kreisky Award for the Political Book of the Year 2018. Her second book Going Dark: The Secret Social Lives of Extremists was an international bestseller and has been translated into seven languages. It won the award 'Wissenschaftsbuch des Jahres 2020' (Science Book of the Year 2020) and was long listed for the Gold Dagger Award.
Before joining ISD, Julia worked as a Senior Researcher at the counter-extremism organisation Quilliam, where she led research projects on terrorism prevention for the European Commission and the Kofi Annan Foundation and gave evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee on far-right extremism. In her role as the coordinator of the pan-European network Families Against Terrorism and Extremism (FATE), she carried out radicalisation prevention projects across Europe and North Africa.
- Ebner, Julia. “Countering (Post-)Digital Hate: What Can Civil Society Do?” in Fielitz, Maik and Nick Thurston (eds), Back to Front Truths: Opposing the Post Digital Cultures of the Far-Right, Columbia University Press, 2019.
- Ebner, Julia and Jacob Davey. “How Women Advance Transnationalism in the Far Right” in Audrey Alexander (ed.), Examining Gender and the Women in Violent Extremism, George Washington University Program on Extremism, 2019.
- Baldauf, Johannes, Julia Ebner and Jakob Guhl (eds). "Hassrede und Radikalisierung im Netz: Der OCCI Forschungsbericht“, Institute for Strategic Dialogue, September 2018.
- Kreißel, Philip, Julia Ebner et al. "Hass auf Knopfdruck: Rechtsextreme Trollfabriken und das Ökosystem koordinierter Hasskampagnen im Netz“, Institute for Strategic Dialogue, July 2018. https://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ISD_Ich_Bin_Hier_2.pdf.
- Fielitz, Maik, Julia Ebner et al. "Hassliebe: Muslimfeindlichkeit und Islamismus im Tango“, Institute für Demokratie und Zivilgesellschaft, Juni 2018. English edition: https://www.idz-jena.de/fileadmin/user_upload/antimuslimextremism_radicalislamism_polarization.pdf.
- Ebner, Julia and Jacob Davey. "Mainstreaming Mussolini: How the Extreme Right Attempted to ‘Make Italy Great Again’ in the 2018 Italian Election". Institute for Strategic Dialogue, March 2018. http://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Mainstreaming-Mussolini-Report-28.03.18.pdf.
- Crawford, Justin, Ebner J and Usama Hasan, U. “The Balanced Nation: Addressing the Challenges of Islamist and Far-Right Extremism in the Classroom” in (eds.) Panjwani, F. et al. Education and Extremisms, Routledge, 2018.
- Ebner, Julia. The Rage: The Vicious Circle of Islamist and Far-Right Extremism, I.B. Tauris, 2017. https://www.amazon.de/Wut-Was-Islamisten-Rechtsextreme-machen/dp/3806237018.
- Davey, Jacob and Julia Ebner. "The Fringe Insurgency. Connectivity, Convergence and Mainstreaming of the Extreme Right". Institute for Strategic Dialogue, October 2017. http://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/The-Fringe-Insurgency-221017.pdf.