Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Strategic Dialogue
Julia Ebner is a Senior Research Fellow at ISD, specialising in far-right extremism, reciprocal radicalisation and online hate-speech. Based on her research, she has have given evidence to numerous governments and parliamentary working groups and advised international organisations such as the UN, OSCE, NATO and the World Bank, and tech firms such as Google and Facebook. She also writes for newspapers such as The Guardian, The Independent, Newsweek, Süddeutsche and CNN.
Her debut book The Rage: The Vicious Circle of Islamist and Far-Right Extremism was published by I.B. Tauris in 2017 and translated into German and Italian. It is used as teaching material by the German Federal Agency for Political Education and taught in a range of university departments and schools in Europe and the US.
Before joining ISD, Julia worked as a Senior Researcher at the counter-extremism organisation Quilliam, where she led research projects on terrorism prevention for the European Commission and the Kofi Annan Foundation and gave evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee on far-right extremism. In her role as the coordinator of the pan-European network Families Against Terrorism and Extremism (FATE), she carried out radicalisation prevention projects across Europe and North Africa.
- Ebner, Julia. “Countering (Post-)Digital Hate: What Can Civil Society Do?” in Fielitz, Maik and Nick Thurston (eds), Back to Front Truths: Opposing the Post Digital Cultures of the Far-Right, Columbia University Press, 2019.
- Ebner, Julia and Jacob Davey. “How Women Advance Transnationalism in the Far Right” in Audrey Alexander (ed.), Examining Gender and the Women in Violent Extremism, George Washington University Program on Extremism, 2019.
- Baldauf, Johannes, Julia Ebner and Jakob Guhl (eds). “Hassrede und Radikalisierung im Netz: Der OCCI Forschungsbericht“, Institute for Strategic Dialogue, September 2018.
- Kreißel, Philip, Julia Ebner et al. “Hass auf Knopfdruck: Rechtsextreme Trollfabriken und das Ökosystem koordinierter Hasskampagnen im Netz“, Institute for Strategic Dialogue, July 2018. https://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ISD_Ich_Bin_Hier_2.pdf.
- Fielitz, Maik, Julia Ebner et al. “Hassliebe: Muslimfeindlichkeit und Islamismus im Tango“, Institute für Demokratie und Zivilgesellschaft, Juni 2018. English edition: https://www.idz-jena.de/fileadmin/user_upload/antimuslimextremism_radicalislamism_polarization.pdf.
- Ebner, Julia and Jacob Davey. “Mainstreaming Mussolini: How the Extreme Right Attempted to ‘Make Italy Great Again’ in the 2018 Italian Election”. Institute for Strategic Dialogue, March 2018. http://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Mainstreaming-Mussolini-Report-28.03.18.pdf.
- Crawford, Justin, Ebner J and Usama Hasan, U. “The Balanced Nation: Addressing the Challenges of Islamist and Far-Right Extremism in the Classroom” in (eds.) Panjwani, F. et al. Education and Extremisms, Routledge, 2018.
- Ebner, Julia. The Rage: The Vicious Circle of Islamist and Far-Right Extremism, I.B. Tauris, 2017. https://www.amazon.de/Wut-Was-Islamisten-Rechtsextreme-machen/dp/3806237018.
- Davey, Jacob and Julia Ebner. “The Fringe Insurgency. Connectivity, Convergence and Mainstreaming of the Extreme Right”. Institute for Strategic Dialogue, October 2017. http://www.isdglobal.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/The-Fringe-Insurgency-221017.pdf.