Associate Professor, University College London
Dr Noémie Bouhana is Associate Professor in Security and Crime Science at University College London, where she convenes the Counter-Terrorism Research Group. Her research interests centre on the systemic and ecological processes involved in the emergence of radicalising settings, the role that these settings play in the individual development of a terrorist propensity, as well as the mechanisms which underpin individual susceptibility to moral change. Most recently, Dr Bouhana directed the €2.9M EU FP7 PRIME project, an international consortium of six European universities conducting multidisciplinary research in the prevention and mitigation of lone actor radicalisation and attack behaviour. At present, she is Principal Investigator of the $1M project "The Social Ecology of Radicalisation", funded by the US DoD Minerva Initiative. Previous research has been supported by the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, the Office of Security and Counter-Terrorism, MOD Counter-Terrorism Science and Technology Centre, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, and the US National Institute of Justice, among others.
- Clemmow, C., Gill, P., Bouhana, N., Horgan, J. and J. Silver (2020). "Disaggregating Lone-actor Grievance-fuelled Violence: Comparing Lone-actor Terrorists and Mass Murderers." Terrorism and Political Violence. https://doi.org/10.1080/09546553.2020.1718661
- Bouhana, N. (2019). The Moral Ecology of Extremism: A Systemic Perspective. London: Commission for Countering Extremism. Retrieved from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-moral-ecology-of-extremism-a-systemic-perspective
- Clemmow, C., Bouhana, N. and P. Gill (2019). "Analysing person-exposure patterns in lone-actor terrorism: Implications for threat assessment." Criminology and Public Policy. https://doi.org/10.1111/1745-9133.12466
- Bouhana, N., Corner, E., Gill, P. and B.W. Schuurman (2018). "Background and preparatory behaviours of right-wing extremist lone actors: A comparative study." Perspectives on Terrorism. XII: 6, pp.150-163.
- Corner, E., Bouhana, N. and P. Gill (2018). "The Multifinality of Vulnerability Indicators in Lone-Actor Terrorism." Psychology, Crime and Law. https://doi.org/10.1080/1068316X.2018.1503664
- Marchment, Z., Bouhana, N. and P. Gill (2018). "Lone Actor Terrorists: A Residence-to-Crime Approach." Terrorism and Political Violence. https://doi.org/ 10.1080/09546553.2018.1481050
- Gill, P., Marchment, Z., Corner, E. and N. Bouhana (2018). "Terrorist Decision-Making in the Context of Risk, Attack Planning and Attack Commission." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism. https://doi.org/10.1080/1057610X.2018.1445501
- Schuurman, B.W., Lindekilde, L., Malthaner, S., O'Connor, F., Gill, P. and N. Bouhana (2018). "End of the Lone Wolf: The Typology That Should Not Have Been." Studies in Conflict and Terrorism. https://doi.org/10.1080/1057610X.2017.1419554
- Schuurman, B.W., Bakker, E., Gill, P. and N. Bouhana (2018). "Lone Actor Terrorist Attack Planning and Preparation: A Data-Driven Analysis." Journal of Forensic Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1111/1556-4029.13676.