Interdisciplinary Chair of Digital Living, University of Dundee
Professor Wendy Moncur is an Interdisciplinary Professor of Digital Living at the University of Dundee, working across Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art & Design and the School of Nursing and Health Sciences. She is also a Visiting Scholar at the University of Technology Sydney, Australia, an Associate of the Centre for Death and Society, University of Bath, and a member of the EPSRC Peer Review Associate College.
She leads the Living Digital group, which carries out research that focuses on the design of technology to support being human in a Digital Age, grounded in Human-Computer Interaction. Recent projects, supported by RCUK Digital Economy Theme and the Partnership for Conflict, Crime and Security, examine:
- socially normative online behaviour (“TAPESTRY: Trust, Authentication and Privacy over a DeCentralised Social Registry” http://bit.ly/1S4VLxG)
- the current and future digital lifespans of UK citizens (“Digital Personhood: Charting the Digital Lifespan” http://bit.ly/1ROsYyB)
- bequest and inheritance of personal data (“Digital Inheritance” http://bit.ly/2pIzf4z).
Before moving into academia, Moncur worked widely in the IT industry, across financial services, utilities and manufacturing sectors.
- Durrant, A., Kirk, D. S., Trujillo-Pisanty, D., Moncur, W., Orzech, K. M., Schofield, T., … Monk, A. (Forthcoming). Transitions in digital personhood: Making sense of online activity in early retirement. In Proc. CHI ’17. Denver, USA: ACM Press.
- Durrant, A., Moncur, W., Kirk, D. S., Trujillo-Pisanty, D., & Orzech, K. M. (2016). On presenting a rich picture for stakeholder dialogue. Presented at the 2016 Design Research Society, Brighton, UK.
- Herron, D., Andalibi, N., Haimson, O., Moncur, W., & van den Hoven, E. (2016). HCI and Sensitive Life Experiences. In Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 134:1–134:3). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2971485.2987673
- Herron, D., Moncur, W., & Hoven, E. van den. (2016). Digital Possessions After a Romantic Break Up. In Proc. NordiCHI 2016.
- Herron, D., Moncur, W., & Hoven, E. van den. (Forthcoming). Digital Decoupling and Disentangling: Towards Design for Romantic Break Up. In Proc. DIS’17. Edinburgh, UK: ACM Press.
- Moncur, W., Lorna Gibson, & Daniel Herron. (2016). The Role of Digital Technologies During Relationship Breakdowns. In Proc. CSCW’16 (pp. 371–382). San Francisco, USA: ACM.
- Moncur, W., Orzech, K. M., & Neville, F. G. (2016). Fraping, social norms and online representations of self. Computers in Human Behavior, 63, 125–131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.05.042
- Orzech, K. M., Moncur, W., & Durrant, A. (Forthcoming). Digital Photographic Practices as Expressions of Personhood and Identity: Variations Across School Leavers and Recent Retirees. Visual Studies.
- Orzech, K. M., Moncur, W., Durrant, A., & Trujillo-Pisanty, D. (2016). Opportunities and challenges of the digital lifespan: views of service providers and citizens in the UK. Information, Communication & Society.
- Waycott, J., Munteanu, C., Davis, H., Thieme, A., Moncur, W., McNaney, R., … Branham, S. (2016). Ethical Encounters in Human-Computer Interaction. In Proceedings of the 2016 CHI Conference Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 3387–3394). New York, NY, USA: ACM. https://doi.org/10.1145/2851581.2856498