Actors and Narratives
What are the narratives of people who get involved in, and disengage from, terrorism? This Programme examines the narratives of people who get involved in, and disengage from, terrorism. The outputs will enrich our understanding of individual motivators, which will inform methods of threat assessments and intervention. Led by Dr Cerwyn Moore at the University of Birmingham.
The team spans two main disciplines – political science and psychology. The key themes it covers are:
- Ideological variance and cultures of violence
- Risk assessment including criminal and psychological pathways to extremism
- Innovation and creativity in clandestine political groups
- Icons and symbols in extremism
- The emotional appeal of extremist narratives.